How is funding allocated?
MIP funding operates in three phases based on the stage of your project.
The three phases are:
Develop a concrete business plan in 3 months with key milestones which will be used to track performance.
Achieve proof of principle and develop prototype. Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) will be used to measure the success of the project.
Budget will be agreed on a case by case basis to develop a marketable product. Milestones and KPIs will be used to track and grade the success of the project.
Please log in to the Application Portal to download the application and selection guidance.
Who owns the IP?
The intellectual property (IP) will be assessed on an individual application basis. There is also the opportunity of sharing royalties, depending on the project.
Do I sign a contract?
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany will review your application and, if successful, detail a plan of action, describing the breakdown of the activities among the TSP, you and other potential co-applicants that can contribute to the execution of the project (where appropriate) and act as an optional supportive partner.
This action plan will be signed with a contract which describes budget allocations, commitments, roles and responsibilities.
Please log in to the Application Portal to download the contract template and read the terms and conditions.
How can I apply?
Your application to the program involves agreement to the terms and conditions and completion and submission of the application form online. Before beginning the process, please review the checklist that has been created to guide you through the application requirements. High level requirements for application include:
- Project summary
- Team details (leader, group members and competency, affiliation etc.)
- Survey of the field and opportunity (medical need/market considerations)
- Development plan:
- Short-term and long-term development steps
- Milestones and timelines
- IP considerations
- Budget and justification (incl. costs breakdown)
When do applications close?
You can start your application now!
The program operates without formal deadlines and applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.
How long before I find out?
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany will inform applicants of the outcome of their proposals within 3 months from the date of submission. Proposals are evaluated on a rolling basis at a two-stage review process.
How will performance be tracked?
Performance will be tracked using measurable quantitative and qualitative key performance indicators (KPIs) including:
- On time completion rate of milestones
- Percentage of partners in the MIP (academic or start-up) who introduce new innovations to the market
- Conversations started and collaborations established within the program
- New products, processes, and methods launched into the market
- Number of start-ups and spin-offs created
- Resource capacity: The number of individuals working on a project multiplied by the percent of time they have available to work on it
Grading of ongoing projects is used to generate a dashboard where projects are assessed based on milestone achievements, categorised as “not on track”, “too soon to assess”, “in progress” or “on track” and a functionality to identify why projects might not be on track. Feedback and the option of self-tracking is provided in all cases.